Monday 30 November 2015

Teochew Minced Meat Noodles (Bak Chor Mee)

The sun was barely out as it peeked shyly along the horizon.  As the missus disembarked at her workplace, the MILLION DOLLAR question began throbbing in my sleepy mind. "Where shall I have my breakfast?"

Before I could spend the next minute making my important choice, my hands seemed to be in cahoots with my taste buds, I was driving my way to Sembawang Hills.

Photo Credit: Wen's Delight

This place holds fond memories of my childhood.  Some of the food vendors have been around for the past thirty odd years.  The popiah uncle and auntie began business in their humble stall when they were still "Mr Manhunt" and "Miss Universe" wannabe. And there is this evergreen fruit stall which is always open only when the sun sets. The iconic Taxi Services Hut is still present.  Those were the days where I was a little boy roaming the streets in that area.  A tinge of nostalgia crept in my mind even as I type this. 

Photo Credit: The Lion Raw

Now, one "newbie" stall that sells minced meat noodles surfaced a couple of months ago.
However, upon checking out the background of this stall, it definitely does not fit the newbie tag. I was told the boss hails from the famous "Tai Hwa Minced Pork Noodles". It is with blessings from Mr Tang Chay Seng, the boss of the famous stall at Crawford Lane that the recipe is similar and the taste is superbly good!



Each bowl starts from $4, a mean price from a hawker stall. However, it has a variety of pork ingredients such as minced meat, sliced meat, dumpling, liver and meat balls.  Topping the bowl are ingredients such as dried sole fish, pickled lettuce, cripsy lard bits and a dash of spring onion. The noodles is normally springy but can be soggy at times. It depends on whether the boss feels the mood to talk to his regulars like me while cooking. As for the sauce, it is overpowering with a strong taste of vinegar (a trademark of teochew BCM).  Watch out for the chilli sauce because it can be quite an adventure for some.  For a start, try asking for a little of that.  Perhaps, this boss knows his counterpart at Sunset Grill.  

All being said, the biggest drawing power that entices me to this stall has to be the liver slices. Each piece is cooked to perfection, succulent, tender and most definitely tasty! My regular breakfast kaki could literally feast on a bowl of noodles with just liver!

If you are a fan of soup based noodles, then you may be disappointed.  The famous noodles from Macpherson should be the one to go to instead.  See the review for Macpherson Minced Meat Noodles soon.


Each time I visit the stall, the boss would always sit and chat with me when he is not cooking (remember I visit the stall when the sun just woke up?)  Once, he asked me to sample some of the various dried sole fish and asked me for opinions.  Sometimes, we would just chatted casually and he told me about how his son refused to succeed his business.  Any takers?

I remember vividly when he proudly said before, "A minced pork noodle shouldn't be mixed with other ingredients such as fish ball or fish cake.  If you wanna serve the best bowl, all ingredients have to be fresh and tasty." 

I attest that he keeps true to his words.  A master like him is far and few between.


Teochew Minced Meat Noodles
Stall 01-29
590 Upper Thomson Road Sembawang Hill Food Centre SINGAPORE 574419

8 comments:

  1. Hello Uncle (Unker), many more reviews to come friend :)

    cheers, andy
    (SengkangBabies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let me go on a food trail first. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Following and awaiting more great review...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please get your exercise mat and equipment ready first. You will need them soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Unker! good post. small suggestion. maybe you can consider rating your visits using number of (say) 'spoons'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Les Tay, thanks for your positive feedback. Will definitely consider your suggestion.
      Btw, are u the one of the kaki that I know? Haha!!

      Delete
  5. i don't know leh. i like mahjong and soccer.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fine, nonetheless evaluate the information and facts around this correct. Paris Ris Hawker Centre

    ReplyDelete