Thursday 10 December 2015

Chuan Heng Fish Ball Minced Meat Noodle

It was early morning. I could barely see anything in the room except for the flickering light on my mobile phone.  I saw a sign, a notification from some whatsapp messages.   Lying on the bed awake, I heard another sign. This time, it was a rumble from my stomache.  Oh my, it is time to get my butt up and fulfill the craving I had since late last night.

I made a short drive to Serangoon Gardens Market & Food Centre to visit Chuan Heng. This stall sells various noodles; from laksa to fishball noodles, to beef noodles and lor mee. It is famous for their beef noodles.  The number of reviews on this dish from food critics serves to justify that. However, my favourite food from this stall is definitely their lor mee. I am a Hokkien, perhaps it is no wonder why I just love lor mee so much since it is a Hokkien dish.





Every time I am there, I like to watch the owner of Chuan Heng's cook my bowl of noodles.  As she boil the noodles, she would also re-fry the fried ingredients to ensure they have a fresh crispy texture. Please note that not many food stalls that sell lor mee will do this.  Perhaps, this is one of the reasons that I keep going back for more. For $3, imagine a layer of sticky gravy submerging thick noodles cooked to perfection, topped with pieces of fresh fried dumpling, fried fish, slices of yam roll and ngoh hiong (meat roll), That is not all, you will also find tasty braised egg and tender thick slices of pork belly. 

Before serving, the lady owner will always ask customers an almost identical question, whether we prefer to have garlic, chilli and vinegar added. You see, lor mee is normally best served with a dash of vinegar, a tea spoonful of garlic and chilli, so it is imperative that they are added.  Other than chilli paste, I would always add a spoonful of cut chilli in soy sauce on my own for extra taste.



Other than the fried ingredients, the gravy is also a winner.  It has a nice blend of texture and taste. As you lift the noodles to eat, the sticky gravy ensures it clings on to the noodles for optimum taste in the mouth. Gravy which is too watery will not be able to achieve this. 

If I could give a prize to one ingredient, it has to be the braised meat.  In my years of eating lor mee, I have never come across a braised meat serving to be so thick and chunky, tender and flavourful. Nothing like the thin and dry ones that I have tried in most lor mee stalls.  Trust me, Chuan Heng's braised meat really reminds me of homecooked ones every time.




I am a sentimental and nostalgic person. Maybe that is why I just love this lor mee.  Try it, even if you are not that nostalgic. Go for the $4 bowl. You won't go wrong with this one.

Chuan Heng Fish Ball Minced Meat Noodle
Address: #01-03, Serangoon Garden Market and Food Centre
49A Serangoon Garden Way, Singapore 555945.

No comments:

Post a Comment